Immune Boosting Recipes
This winter slaw with sesame orange cream not only tastes delicious, but it provides you with an immune boosting kick to help ward off those winter bugs. Cabbage is full of immune enhancing compounds – it’s anti microbial, anti viral, and has a high content of vitamin C. It’s much more than just a short term fix however, cabbage has been shown to be rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that when consumed regularly, are protective against cancers. The ginger and garlic in the dressing give an added immune boost, not to mention cleansing herbs like parsley and coriander.
This salad is great on it’s own or for a more substantial meal, grill some chicken or salmon on the side. Enjoy!
Winter Slaw with Sesame Orange Cream
Serves 4 as a main dish salad
For the salad
2 cups each shredded Savoy cabbage, purple cabbage, and kale
1 cup shredded carrots
3 salad onions
1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
½ cup chopped coriander
½ cup sesame seeds
For the Dressing:
1 small knob of ginger, finely shredded (I use a zester)
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
1/3 cup tahini
1 clove garlic
½ cup water
a pinch or two of sea salt
zest of 1/2 an organic orange
- Shred the cabbage and kale as finely as possible, either using a knife or a food processor. Place in a large bowl.
- Shred the carrots using either a food processor or on a box grater. Slice the salad onions and add to the cabbage.
- Finely chop the parsley and coriander. Add to the bowl along with the sesame seeds.
- Using a hand blender, blend the dressing ingredients together. Add water to thin to desired consistency.
- Toss everything in the bowl together and serve. Pour 1/2 of the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. After plating, drizzle some more dressing over each serving and enjoy.